Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Dodge 3500 5.9 cummings: I have a 5.9 cummings and the wait

Customer Question

I have a 5.9 cummings and the wait to start light comes on intermittent
And I lose power.just replaced all the glow plugs fuel filter dodge wants to re flash cause they don't know what's wrong.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Robert
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
I have been researching your concern and now have a bit of information for you...Let me know if you are missing any info or need an explanation of anything posted here...
I'm posting a service bulletin that relates to your concern. A previous update has added this feature in to your onboard diagnostics for the fuel system. Basically when this happens it is telling you that there is a problem with the fuel system that needs to be diagnosed. Scanning the vehicle and retreiving codes P1222 and/or P1223 will be confirmation of this. What needs to be done is the fuel flow testing procedures need to be performed. Replacing the fuel filter after running the initial Fuel Lift Pump Flow Test and running it again will let you know if the filter was the problem. Otherwise, I suspect an internal leak in the high pressure side of the fuel system. This will cause this concern and set these codes nearly every time....
Here is the bulletin so you can read through it...
--Click here-- to view.
Give them the bulletin number so they can read through it and will know to run the flow testing procedures....
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
______________________________________
Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...
Please keep in mind, If you are not happy with your answer and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.
Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for your answer is GREATLY appreciated and is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Keep in mind this bulletin is the actual bulletin where this flash described in the bulletin is actually performed. Make sure they know that flashing the ECM will NOT solve the issue, they need to run the fuel system flow testing procedures.... If they don't seem to know what to do I HIGHLY recommend a different dealer for a "Second Opinion"...
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Those are the codes that come up and that gives me a direction to go I appreciate you're help I'll get on Monday morn many thanks . When it comes on is when I let off the gas every time.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
No problem, any time...
Keep me posted and let me know if you need a "Second Opinion" on the diagnosis...
Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer! ☺
Robert
If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly"Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you and thanks for asking your question!
Robert