Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

Dodge Ramcharger: 91 dodge ramcharger, runs fine in neutral

Customer Question

91 dodge Ramcharger, 5.9, 360, runs fine in neutral and will drive slow on flat level surface.   When you start to go up a grade it dies.  Had a full tank 30 gal so have been letting it run to try and burn it out (was thinking water in gas) but no help after burning 1/2 out.  Checked codes and have three...37/PTU solenoid,   47/ Battery voltage low (Has been setting a few weeks so no surprise there)  15/Vehicle speed signal (Don't know what that is either). Trying to understand my problem and what to do next?

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The problem you are describing sounds very much like you may have a failing fuel pump. When the pump become weak it will usually fail under the load of climbing due to a drop in pressure. I would start first with installing a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring.Normal fuel pressure on your 5.9 should be right at 13 to 15 PSI , anything less then 13 PSI would indicate a failing fuel pump.