Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Dodge ram 3500 diesal: Idler pulley is bad. Do not know how

Customer Question

Idler pulley is bad. Do not know how to remove as there is no bolt head on shaft.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Which pulley are you referring to? The Fan Hub Pulley? Or the spring loaded Tensioner Pulley?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The belt goes over the a.c. under the idler up over the alt and down to tensioner. It is the idler between a.c. and alt.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
That is actually the water pump. If there is a problem there, the water pump MUST be replaced. There is a 10 mm bolt on upper area and on the lower area for a total of 2 fastners that attach the water pump....
Here is a pic:

Click here to Visit
Here is a pic of a water pump that has been removed. Note the two holes, these are the mounting points...
Click here to Visit
Keep me posted and let me know if you have additional questions...
Thank you,
Robert
______________________________________
Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.
Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...
Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for good answers is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not the water pump. This pulley is betwee the a.c. and alt and is above the water pump. There is no bolt head. It is on a shaft that goes into the engine block . the diagram label under the hood calls it a idler
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Can you see the pics that I posted above? If not, click the links to view the pics. On the first pic I labeled all pulleys, let me know which one and I'll tell you how to remove it....
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My bad. Is the water pump. Cleaned up area and found bolts. Thank you for your help. I was also looking at wrong diagram.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Cool, Glad I was able to help...
Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer! ☺
Robert
If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly"Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you and thanks for asking your question!
Robert