Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

Dodge Nitro: I have a 2008 dodge nitro. the electric locks

Customer Question

I have a 2008 dodge nitro. the electric locks work once a day and after the only the drivers door will unlock with either the fob or the buttons on the doors
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is Ed. Welcome to JustAnswer!.
By the sound of it, you have a bad TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Module. It's what you would see as the underhood fuse and relay box.
An input to the TIPM from the door switch (especially) affects all four doors and the hatch equally... they should all lock or unlock at the same time.
On the other hand, the first input from your key fob will normally unlock only the driver's door and with a second input, will unlock the rest.
Having the driver's door unlock with either the wireless or switched inputs tells me that the command is being sent and received. The lack of unlock commands to the remaining doors appears to be a fault of the TIPM itself, since it does oversee all these circuits.
With the driver's door being but one of the power door lock circuits, I wouldn't expect there to be four other separate intermittent wiring harness problems... so the common link here is the TIPM itself. Each door lock actuator is controlled separately by the TIPM on command from an input, so if the input affects the driver's door lock each and every time, it must be getting through.
TIPM replacement is expensive, but not complicated. It will need to be configured to the vehicle's build after installation, which is something the dealer can do. Expect the entire job to cost near $1000, I'm afraid.
Let me know if you have any questions or problems. I'll be glad to help.
So sorry...
Ed