Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

2005: My hemi 2005 the check gauge light keeps coming on. And

Customer Question

My hemi 2005 the check gauge light keeps coming on. And the oil gauge fluttered back and forth and there is pletty oil
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is Ed. Welcome to JustAnswer!.
While I'm not sure what vehicle your Hemi is in... it's most likely a bad oil pressure sensor. We use the same sensor in trucks, Jeep and even Chrysler 300/ Charger, so chances are pretty good with that description that a new sensor will save the day.
In more extreme cases, the bad sensor may even set a trouble code and turn the MIL on. If your Hemi happens to live in a Grand Cherokee or a truck, you can retrieve codes using this h***** *****ttle key dance:
Roll the key from off to on three times, leaving the key in the RUN position at the end. You may need to cycle the key all the way to the LOCK position, but some vehicles seem to prefer that you just roll it to the first stop back from RUN (ACC).
Watch the instrument cluster for code display, which will come from the odometer window. Grand Cherokee makes a big fuss about it (which I like), displaying a "DTC CODE DISPLAY" prompt before spilling any codes present. If your vehicle doesn't care to cooperate, you can often obtain a free code scan from your friendly neighborhood NAPA, CarQuest or AutoZone parts stores. A P0520 (engine oil pressure sensor circuit) pretty much nails the lid shut on a bad sensor.
But the P0520 will set only if the sensor reaches its default voltage of 5.0 volts, which is impossible on a properly-functioning unit. If your sensor is just plain cranky, it may still operate within parameters of operation and escape detection.
Let me know if you have any questions or problems and I'll be glad to help.
Thanks!
Ed