sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 04 ram 4x4 1500 cruise shuts off every time it starts to

Customer Question

my 04 ram 4x4 1500 cruise shuts off every time it starts to climb even a little climb.

Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JA
Most of the time this is being caused by a vacuum leak. Check the line to the speed control servo it may have a very small pin hole in it. Look at all the vacuum lines on the engine as well you are losing vacuum somewhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where is the cruise control unit?

Expert:  moparfl replied 1 year ago.
I think on that year it's bolted to the bottom of the battery box
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Replying to my question with "I think"tells me you're not sure. I do not have a problem paying for the service but I would definitely appreciate a more accurate location. There are a few things bolted under my battery bracket I am not sure what the cruise control looks like. And how am I supposed to check a vacuum line especially a pinhole if I don't know where to start.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that can cause cruise to not work. If you have a servo it could definitely be a vacuum leak but it could also be the servo itself or it may be disabling cruise do to an incorrect input such as vehicle speed, a cam or crank signal issue, MAP sensor, throttle position, etc.

If you have a 5.7 then you don't have a cruise servo.

Have you checked for fault codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll check today for any codes. I do have 5.7 hemi

Let me know what you find!