sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge dakota: my dodge dakota 2003 shuts off once in a while

Customer Question

my dodge dakota 2003 shuts off once in a while when i start it up had new fuel pump,starter replace but still shuts off when i start it up and drive like a hundred yards not all the time but once like every 3 days
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when it shuts off like the truck stops like the steering wheel locks everything shuts off
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the problem only happens on startup and at idle then you may have an idle air control motor issue. The IAC is what allows air into the engine when the throttle is closed to maintain idle. If opening the throttle allows the engine to stay running then you either have a bad IAC or the engine controller is losing IAC memory due to low battery voltage.
If it will die at any time and dies abruptly then you're most likely losing spark. If you have a 3.9 or 5.9 this could be a coil issue, the crank sensor would be the most likely cause for intermittent loss of spark on any of the engines.
the first step in diagnosing the problem will be to check for fault codes. Most causes of lost spark will set a fault code and that will give a starting point for diagnosis.