Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge ram 1500 hemi: I have a 2005 ram 1500 quad 4x4 with a

Customer Question

I have a 2005 ram 1500 quad 4x4 with a hemi. The problem is "long crank time" but not all the time. Sometimes it will fire right away but other times it takes maybe 5 to 7 seconds, but it always does start. Just picked it up from Dodge dealer and all they did was replaced the battery ($ 180.00 )and said that was the problem. WRONG Still occuring today and long crank times 7 out of 9 times. Any ideas
Category: Dodge
Expert:  b5demon replied 2 years ago.
Hi Welcome to Just Answer! Do you know if they checked fuel pressure at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As I said in the "what have you done section" the dealers tech said they did do a fuel pressure check and all was ok along with no codes..
Expert:  b5demon replied 2 years ago.
if they checked it right after they pulled it in it may show ok we have seen some issues with the fuel pumps bleeding the pressure off when the truck sits for a while and that causes a long crank time. There are two ways to check it first is install a fuel pressure guage and then let the truck sit after you started it to prime the fuel system and see if the fuel pressure drops after it sits the second way and easier is when you go to start it turn the key to the on position for a few seconds then back off do that 4 or 5 times before you try to start the engine if it starts every time when you do that the fuel pump is the issue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They said they did the pressure test and all was ok.......................If you don't have any other suggestions i feel i am wasting my time and money as such with the dealer....Thanks for no help
Expert:  b5demon replied 2 years ago.
i just want you to double check the fuel pressure the dealers don't always take the time to check it properly or it may not have acted up for them that is why i want you to recheck the pressure the most common cause for long crank time is loss of fuel pressure
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm done, not satisfied, please do not charge me.