Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have a 2004 dodge 1500 4.7 engine The starter tries to

Customer Question

I have a 2004 dodge 1500 4.7 engine The starter tries to engage and moves the flywheel slightly, but then clicks off Thought the starter was the problem but still is the same with a new starter
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a volt meter to take a quick reading for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Battery itself had 12.5 when I checked it
Thanks,
Ok,,that's the surface voltage and now i need to know what the voltage drops to when the key is held in the start position when trying to start it. If you are not around it right now thats ok, take your time and post back when you can get that reading please.
Larry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only drops to 12 with key in start position
Thanks,
Ok, this time connect the meter positive lead directly to the battery cable down at the starter and connect the negative lead to a good ground on the engine block somewhere. This will test for a voltage drop.
I have to run out for a bit so just post back when you can and i will be back in awhile.
LJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had to make a jumper to get at it but it's also 12 or 12.5 at starter with key held on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just noticed when I got in the seat that with the key in the acc position the truck will shift but all of the boxes around the p r n d 2 1 symbols are lit up. Can't remember if that is normal. I don't use this truck that much
Sorry for the delay i got stuck on the road in traffic....ugh.
I will be around the rest of the day though.
Will it start at all right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Exactly the same. Aa few days ago the truck did not want to restart after running it until it cooled off. Now it won't start at all
Thanks,
Ok, now what i need you to do is test the smaller wire at the starter(should be yellow with grey stripe) it has to have power when the key is in start position. If not, it may be a bad starter relay.
Let me know
Below is the wiring circuit for the starter
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/start%20circuit.PNG
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't seem to have power on that wire. The relay is in the box under hood. Looks like number 72. Is there a way to test a relay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I swapped the relay with one of the other ones that was numbered exactly the same. Still no luck. Is there some other relay to look for?
Thanks,
There are a couple spare relays in there. Try using one of them and see if it gets power down to that yellow wire at starter.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/relay.PNG
Looking at the diagram i sent earlier, see if it has power at pin #30 when you pull the relay out. It should be hot with key on or off.
Pin #85 should have power when key is in start position.
Check those please
Also if you jumper pin 30 and 87, the starter should crank,,,,try that and let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power at 85 with key on. Power good at 30. Jumped 30 to 87. Starter cranked a little bit then quit. Now it won't crank at all when I jump those two
Key has to be in the START POSITION for power at 85. Check that again.
Can you try jumping those 30 and 87 again and this time have your meter connected to the battery to see how far the volts drop when the starter does actually spin (if it will)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power at 85 with key on. Voltage does not drop when jumping 30 to 87
When you say "No power at 85 with key on". Is that with key fully turned to start position?
Also did the starter try to turn this time when you jumped those pins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Fully in start position. Starter tries to turn a little bit when using jumper but mostly no. I jumped to check maybe 8 or so times. It tried to roll a little twice
Thanks,
It sounds like there is a short or bad connections inside the integrated power module (fuse box). If you can find that yellow wire coming from the ignition switch that goes to pin 85, and test it at the ignition switch, thats where the power starts then goes to pin 85.
one last test i'm curious about is check for12 volts at the yellow wire on the starter when pins 30 and 87 are jumped. By jumping it,it should put 12 volts directly to that wire at the starter..key can be off or on dosnt matter because pin 30 should be hot all the time..let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You may not believe this but....I put in the jumper and went under the truck. Started to hook up volt meter and all of a sudden the starter began cranking hard. Went up, pulled jumper, and now truck starts normally. What the hell
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At least it started normal a few times. Not now
Most likely its because of poor connections in the fuse box. We have actually had to tear into quite a few of these for this issue as well as a hand full of other issues. Its tedious work but if you are up to it, remove the fuse box and check all connections.
Thats why i hate electrical issues because they can drive you nuts!
It can work just fine from now on, or it could act up again.
Good job and it was nice working with you!
Larry
If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
That figures,
Gonna have to pull the fuse box.
LJ