sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 8 Cyl 5.9L... 2001 Dodge Ram 1500

Customer Question

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 8 Cyl 5.9L... 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 8 Cyl 5.9L When pressing brake pedal a door in the hvac thuds closed and full heat pumps out even if set to cold ac. To fix problem I have to be off the brake and turn off the vent select
to off. Wait a few seconds and turn back to ac or vent and it will flow cool till I hit brakes again. No adjustnent to the fan speed or temp dial is necessary. Just need to be off brakes turn off and back on. brakes work fine
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The blend door on your 2001 truck should have an electric actuator rather than vacuum so the problem shoudn't be happening because of an engine vacuum/brake booster issue. It's possible that inertia from hittimg the brakes is allowing the blend door to move because the door is broken or actuator is broken and not holding the door in position.
Does this only happen when moving or does it also happen if you press the brake when idling in park?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everyone says that the 2001 dodge is vacuum not electric you sure about it being electric ? I will try it parked and let you know.
The blend door was never vacuum controlled, the earlier B body trucks had a cable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This happened right after the truck was hit from the front hard while parked. Could this have broken this actuator and if so how do you check it and repair it ?
The accident shouldn't be related.
To inspect or replace the blend door or actuator the dash and heater box will need to be removed. Getting to the door itself will require disassembly of the heater box.