Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  MO Safety/Emissions Certified on all makes and models with a strong electronics background aiding in electrical troubleshooting.
66997337

Dakota: 1992 dodge dakota 5.2 check engine light on intermittently.

Customer Question

1992 dodge dakota 5.2 check engine light on intermittently. Checked coded using key switch method and getting # ***** Replaced ecm 2 years ago for same problem. Truck has 209,000 but is still in good shape.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Code 27 is for injectors. It should have a "subcode" showing which injector. Are you able to get that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a scan tool, I just got 27 by using the key switch method. Is there a way to get the subcode that way
Unfortunately not. Try ohm checking the injectors looking for 14-18 ohms. If you get any outside of spec replace them and recheck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So basically use an ohm meter to test across the 2 terminals of the injector, correct ?
Correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And if they test OK ?
I wouldnt expect them all to test good. Is there a reason you feel they will?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just never had a problem with them before and there's no ryme or reason to when it acts up. Can go a couple days without or will do it off and on all day.
Well then your next step is to trace all of the control wires back to the PCM looking for a bad spot shorting out. That may be the case with yours since its so intermittent.