Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Dodge 2500: Hey I have a 96 dodge 2500 with the 8 liter v-10.

Customer Question

Hey I have a 96 dodge 2500 with the 8 liter v-10. I recently found fuel in my oil, along with low oil pressure, and a rough idle. I took it to a mechanic and he told me its a bad injector so I replaced the injectors with reman's. I started the truck up after replacing g them, and now it won't come down to normal idle. It idles around 1500 rpm no matter what I do. I pulled the pcv valve hose and I couldn't feel a Negative or positive pressure.I also tried using carb cleaner to test a vaccume leak, but at 1500 rpm it's hard to hear any veriance in the idle.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
When you did the injector replacement and reinstalled the intake plenum, did you make sure to connect the vacuum lines that are on the back of the plenum? Also, did you replace ALL injector "O Rings" when you replaced them. Lastly, did you replace the plenum gasket and make sure that it didn't rip when installing the plenum?
From the repair as you described, I still suspect a vacuum leak. An easier way to find the vacuum leak would be to use a soapy water solution then spray it liberally around the intake plenum and injectors, If you still feel no change, start looking for disconnected vacuum hoses.. Keep in mind that when using soapy water, when you find the leak, the idle should actually go down a bit before coming back up to 1500 rpm.
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not replace the plenum gasket because I replaced it about 3000 miles ago because I had to replace a leaking valve cover. I figured since it was brand new I could probably get away without replacing it! When I removed the plenum it looked good, however I know it is not a reusable gasket, so I should have replaced it.
When using soapy water isn't that bad for the engine to ingest water like that?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jeff,
Yes, you probably should have replaced it...
Using soapy water is definitely a better solution. If the engine ingests this solution it will do no harm to the engine. With the carburetor cleaner, since it is flammable, spraying it around the engine especially the ignition system can get ignited by a stray spark and you will end up with an engine fire that may get quite costly to fix... The worst that the water can do is cause the engine to stall if too much gets ingested. Engine will still start right back up after this so it wouldn't cause any harm whatsoever....
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert