sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Guys, I own a 2001 dodge ram 2500 cummings. Just recently

Customer Question

Hi Guys, I own a 2001 dodge ram 2500 cummings. Just recently its started hesitating a little when I'm driving around 50mph at around 1500 rpm when in top gear( automatic tranny). If i accelerate there in no hesitation. She starts and runs fine, i had the
lift pump and injection pump changed 1.5 years ago. Any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would it be the APPS?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
It's possible that the problem could be the APPS.
The engine may be going into limp in. If the ECM sees an issue with the APPS, MAP sensor or injector pump it will return to idle until the problem goes away.
The first thing that will need to be done is check for fault codes. If the engine is going into limp in there will be a fault code stored that will need to be used as a starting point for diagnosis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not going into limp. I check the codes and nothing.
How did you check for codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just turned my key 3 times and p done came up. Would there be hidden codes?
It would be best to use a code reader or scan tool.
Can you estimate how many miles are on the fuel filter?
Did the problem start not long after getting fuel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would say probably 15000 miles since the fuel filter change. I have put 3 tanks of fuel since it's been working this way. It's very strange because it only acts up when I'm at 1200-1500 rpm and around 40-50 mph. Only they does it skip other then that it runs perfectly
It would be a good idea to replace the fuel filter and see if that helps. If not then the next steps will be to monitor transfer pump pressure when it acts up, followed by monitoring data on a scan tool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'm going to change the fuel filter tomorrow.... See if that helps. Then we can go from there. How do you monitor transfer pump pressure?
A fuel pressure gauge would need to be connected at the test port on the injector pump inlet line.