sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Ram 6.7: Im having a few problems with my 2011 dodge ram 3500

Customer Question

Im having a few problems with my 2011 dodge ram 3500 with 6.7. I bought it used with 280k miles, I had a mechanic check it out before I bought it but after a*****home I have a few check engine codes. can you please help me? p0191 p2201 p229f p229e
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it says nox sensor and something with the fuel rail, just trying to pin point it and get it repaired so i can pass smog
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
P0191 is for the performance of the fuel rail pressure sensor. This could be the sensor itself or an actual pressure issue causing it's signal to be erratic. failed injectors or a leaking limit valve on the fuel rail are possible causes in addition to the rail pressure sensor. Testing would need to be done at the time the problem is happening to determine if the sensor signal is correct, check for a leaking limit valve and test injector return.
P2201 is for the upstream NOx sensor if equipped and would require replacement of the sensor, assuming power and ground to it's module are good.
P229E and F are both for the downstream NOx sensor circuit and would require replacement of the sensor, assuming again power and ground to it's module are good. If the NOx sensor modules weren't communicating at all then there should be an appropriate code set rather than a sensor circuit code.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking about doint the dpf delete kit and egr, but the one thing im worried about is the p0191, can this turn into an expensive problem to have diagnosed or where should I start on my own?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also are reflashings free if you have no warrenty? would that help. or what range could I expect to pay just to have it diagnosed? thank you for helping
Without having a scan tool to monitor rail pressure and run a fuel pressure override test, and special test fittings you wouldn't be able to do the require d tested for the P0191.
Diagnosing the problem shouldn't exceed two hours of labor at the most, usually it would just be the normal hour charge.
A flash would only be free if you were under warranty. There aren't any flashes that cover these codes specifically but it's always a good idea to make sure software is up to date.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will the dpf delete work to clear all the nox codes with the tuner, I dont want extra HP I just dont want soot in my engine. so dpf and egr deletes seem like a good option for me? also if it turned out to be injectors what could I be looking at to replace them, is it bad to drive the truck with these codes?
Thank you
The NOx sensors are part of the DEF and SCR catalyst system. You'd have to specifically make sure whatever you purchase is to allow removal of these items. This isn't legal if the vehicle is registered for street use so I can't recommend doing so.
Injectors are $1,235 each and it will be about three hours of labor to replace them.
If injectors are leaking it will end up damaging the cylinder walls and piston rings. Inoperative NOx sensors could damage the SCR catalyst.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wow, at 1,235 that could mean its better to buy a junk yard engine. how long do injectors last? and don't most delete kits remove the nox sensors?
I haven't seen any trucks with the SCR/DEF systems removed.
Injectors can last up to a few hundred thousand miles, I've seen them fail as soon as 50-60,000 miles.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if one injector is bad do you replace them all? now im worried i wont be able to repair my only form of transportation. im just hoping for a bad sensor
They would replaced as a set in the event of a hydraulic or mechanical issue such as this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh geez, I wont keep wasting your time. I appreciate all the help! if its ok Ill just ask a few more questions. I noticed some places online sell after market injectors or remanufactured. is this a bad choice. honestly if it were the injectors I couldnt fix the truck at 1250 a piece. what would be the next best option?
I've only used Mopar remanufactured injectors and haven't had any issues. I've seen some issues with aftermarket remans used by customers on this site but as long as you got a warranty on the part and were sure that engine damage would be covered if the injector failed then aftermarkets would suffice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but in your opinion mopar reman would be ok? how much do those run for. and do they cover engine damage worst case?
The Mopar remans are $1,235 each and I haven't seen any trouble with them. If one were to fail and cause engine damage the damage would be covered.