Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Dodge Sprinter 2500: I have a 2003 dodge sprinter 2500 that

Customer Question

I have a 2003 dodge sprinter 2500 that will not start. I can start it with starting fluid and it runs and drives great. I can do 80mph no problem on freeway with no decrease in power when I'm driving it. I can not figure out why it will not start. Fuel lines are bleed and air free and fuel filter is new. Please help me!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
How many miles are on your Sprinter? Have the injectors ever been replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the injectors have never been replaced. It has 96,000 miles on it.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
There is a couple possibilities. First being the Fuel Pressure Solenoid. This is a solenoid mounted to the rear of the fuel rail that is partly responsible for maintaining Fuel Rail Pressure. There is an "O" ring on the unit that is prone to splitting or tearing. This can cause an internal leak that can affect fuel rail pressure when cranking the engine... This causes the exact symptom that you described...
The other possibility is one or more worn out injectors that are allowing too much fuel to return to the tank. Symptoms are the same. Hard or no start with out starting fluid and runs normal other than that. There is one way to check for "Suspect" injectors by removing the injector engine cover and look at the markings on top of the injectors. Suspect injectors are marked with a part number that includes the digits "1187" if you find these injectors installed, chances are good that you probably have at least one or more bad injectors... If this is the case, replacement is recommended...
______________________________________
If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! .
Thank you!
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you and I will look into both of those issues and let you know. Thanks
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
No problem...
I'm here in case you have additional questions or need help with procedures...
Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!
Robert
______________________________________
Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.
Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...
Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for good answers is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...