Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Dodge Dakota: I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota, A/C blows warm air

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota, A/C blows warm air unless I'm going down the road, at idle compressor is short cycling. Is it low, I bought a can of A/C pro and gauge shows in the red. JW
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
It will show in the red when the compressor isnt kicked in. That is the low side port you are hooked up to and when the compressor is off, both high and low side pressures equalize to around 90-100psi or so...
The reason it is short cycling is because it needs to be charged and as you start putting it in, it will be longer between cycles. Keep putting some in until the cycling stops and the compressor stays engaged and it should be blowing cold by then.
The ideal way to charge it would be to have a high side pressure reading and that will tell you more accurately when its full. Of course they dont tell you that when you buy the kit....from what you described it sounds like it wont need much more than 1 can.
Tip: get a container of hot water and set the can in it and it will speed up the process a LOT!
LJ
If you are happy with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.