sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Ram 2500: 2005 ram 2500 5.7 hemi, idles ok and drives fine

Customer Question

2005 ram 2500 5.7 hemi, idles ok and drives fine for most of the rpm range. but intermittently has a dead spot where it will throw a p0300 code and start to stumble and misfire. it does this between 1800 and 3000 rpm under is fine and over runs well. just replaced plugs and wires yesterday. potential cam or crank sensor?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If it runs otherwise ok and isn't setting any other codes then I would suspect the crank sensor. The crank sensor is used for misfire monitor and an erratic signal from it can obviously cause misfires, but it can also cause the engine controller to perceive misfires that aren't actually present and it can shut injector drivers down.
To see if the crank sensor was the issue it would really require a labscope which I'm assuming isn't available to you. If the ignition system has been ruled out it would be a good idea to make sure fuel pressure isn't dropping off, but replacing the crank sensor will likely take care of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No change, still same with new crank sensor

Where did the replacement come from?

Was a cam/crank relearn with a scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oe Mopar, no

Can you try a battery disconnect and see if anything changes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

tried that and pcm reset with superchips after return to stock

Are there other modifications I am not aware of?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

magnaflow catback and superchips, both have been on it since i bought the truck in 2007

Does the problem happen during warmup, cold weather, low speeds or after idling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it just started this past week, temps are 70 and above. there is no real apparent x factor causing it. this evening i picked up my trailer and it threw a pair of bank 1 sensor 1 o2 codes p0131 and p0132. i was going to check it in depth in the morning

Upstream oxygen sensors are what I was considering. A weak upstream heater will cause the symptoms you're having but usually under the conditions I described in my last post. Disconnect both upstream sensors, disconnect the battery to clear adaptives and then see if the problem is gone with them unplugged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its still acting up, I'm making an appointment with the dealer monday letting them deal with it

Let me know how it goes!