sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Type Your Question Here...

Customer Question

Type Your Question Here...
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 97 Dodge 2500 360 engine. Starts but dies after the gas pedal is released. No idle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
Assuming the engine runs otherwise ok and no fault codes are setting, the problem is with the idle air control motor. The IAC is on the back of the throttle body and is what allows air into the engine when the throttle is closed.
The problem may be the IAC itself, carbon buildup in the throttle body and IAC bore, or the root cause may be the batter. When battery voltage falls low during cranking the engine controller will lose it's IAC step count memory which will prevent it from idling correctly until step count is relearned.
The first thing that should be addressed is the battery. If it's ok or the problem remains after the battery is replaced then odds are the IAC will need to be replaced.