Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Dodge dakota: how to replace 2006 dodge dakota ignition cylinder,

Customer Question

how to replace 2006 dodge dakota ignition cylinder, key will not turn
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** key must be in the on position for the cylinder to come out, what position is it stuck in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
initial key entry
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
and it does nit turn to the run position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes does not turn at all, how do you replace
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
to replace it, the key has to be in the on position, then its simply a matter of pressing the pin retainer in, and the cylindr comes out,but if it does not turn to te run position, it cant be done, we use mobile locksmiths to come out and pick the lock to put it in the run position, also if you replace the lockcylinder and key, the new key has to be programmed into the computer or it will not start, most mobile locksmiths can program these, it requires a special scanner t program them, I can post the procedure for removal, if you like, so it can be replaced once the key is in the on position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we donʻt have mobile rpair serv. in other words i have to tow the vehicle to a mech shop? is there a panel under the column to remove and replace cylinder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please post procedure
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you remove the upper and lower plastic covers over the column, then on the lock cylinder, there is a pin to push in, to release the cylinder, but like I said, the key must be in the run position for it to release,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Below is a link to a PDF file containing the procedure for replacing this,Tim
http://www.zamzar.com/getFiles.php?uid=326b444dbc5a08446b58397a4b9d7b6-e45472ca117b059&targetID=pmVo4ovEoklaTBSA9AkKlg_I_I
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Is this the info you are looking for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping,Thanks,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
I see you have not rated me, I do not get paid unless you do, can you please take the time to rate me?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
good luck in the future,Tim