Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Dodge sprinter 2500: 2006 (registration but maybe a 2007) dodge

Customer Question

2006 (registration but maybe a 2007) dodge sprinter diesel 2500 losses power on occasion on the highway. Dashboard warning lights never come on. After pulling over and restarting it operates normally. Originally occurred infrequently but now the frequency is increasing.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Can you post the last 9 digits of the VIN? I can tell what year it is by the VIN..
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WDOPD 644865855910 - Hope this helps in determining why I experience loss of power occasionally. Note that on level roadway I have sufficient power to maintain highway speed but vehicle slows (amount depending on grade) and then will increase slowly on level roadway,
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
I have been researching your concern and now have a bit of information for you...Let me know if you are missing any info or need an explanation of anything posted here...
Ok this is a 2006 Sprinter.
The most common cause for a loss of power as you described is a loss of Turbocharger Boost due to a leak in the air intake system. The most common culprit is a Cracked Turbo Resonator. The symptoms you described lead me to this conclusion as many times the check engine light does not illuminate.. If you were to take it and have it scanned, I suspect you will end up with a P0299 or a P2359 code.
To check for this condition with the Turbo Resonator, check the turbo resonator for signs of oil spray nearby.
I'm posting some pics of the Turbo resonator and point of failure so you can inspect yours. It is located at the Turbocharger outlet port and connects to the passenger side intercooler hose...
--Click here-- to view.
Here is the location of failure, check for separation in this area also there will be a log of oil spray from the area...
--Click here-- to view.
______________________________________
Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.
Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...
Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for good answers is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...