Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge: 05 Cummings runs hot when towing 80 hp chip s& intake

Customer Question

05 Cummings runs hot when towing 80 hp chip s&b intake elect fans
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!!
My name is ***** ***** I'm a 16 yr Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep dealership technician that will be helping you today. ***NOTE*** This is not a FREE site, the deposit you placed will not credit me unless you rate me positive, and feel free to reply to me as many times as needed even after the rating.
It only runs hot when towing? Have you had the radiator flow checked? How hot does it get and how long does it take to cool back off once you stop? Is the water pump flowing coolant good? Is the viscous fan working properly?
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Elect fans cools off quick new pump/thremostat
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Have you had the radiator flow checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Since you have a new water pump, thermostat, and have added electric fans then it's got to be a flow issue. Try and run your hand over the radiator and see if you feel any cool spots which would indicate a restriction in that flue. I wouldn't doubt it if a new radiator cleared up your issues, or you can remove it and have a machine shop flow check it and try and rod it out...
Let me know,
Brad