Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Nitro: My lightning bolt light came on and vehicle went all

Customer Question

My lightning bolt light came on and vehicle went all the way fo hot but no smoke then back down to cold.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.So it went full hot then full cold and stayed there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once it went back to cold I was home. I tried to turn the heat on to pull it from the engine but it was only blowing cold air
Have you checked the coolant level?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put coolant in it yesterday and it went to normal then overheated and the other issues happened while I was trying to get it home. I put coolant and oil in it. It is leaking coolant but the radiatior/water pump/ have been replaced within the last 6 months
Did you bleed the air when you put coolant in it? It sounds like an air pocket.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea what bleeding it means
It means to bleed the air from the cooling system. If you have no idea chances are you did not. You need to start there. Your local auto parts store should sell a "Radiator funnel" that you attach to the radiator cap and fill with coolant and let the car idle for a half hour or so while keeping it topped off. That will work the air pockets out of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The coolant reservoir is completely full. This morning the check engine light is on but the lightning bolt symbol is not illuminated. If I don't have access to the auto parts store is there another way to get this vehicle back to normal?
Get the front end jacked up about 3 ft or so on jackstands and idle the vehicle for about 45 minutes while topping off the coolant any time air comes out and it gets low.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle is still over heating and the radiator cap was dry when opened even though the reservoir was full.
Well if its acting like theres air in the cooling system yet you have tried to remove it either you arent doing it right or I would suspect a head gasket failure. Have you checked compression yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I took it to a professional and it was a defective radiator.