Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

Dodge neon: I have a 1999 dodge neon the factory radio goes

Customer Question

I have a 1999 dodge neon the factory radio goes on & off when it wants to & now my speedometer bounces to. What could be the cause of this? I had a cd player put in & it is doing the same thing & the garage says its my player, I tried telling them the same thing happened with the factory radio but they are not listening, so can you tell me please?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here
The problem you are describing with the speedometer can be caused by any of the following,
Instrument Cluster (IC)
Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
Wiring Harness
In order to determine which is failing you are going to need to do some testing. See the test steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Speedometer%20Jun%203.pdf
The radio really should not be related to this circuit. The place to start with this problem would be to have the installer recheck power and ground at the radio when its going off.