Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

2011 dodge avenger ran out of gas. Got approx1 gal. and tried

Customer Question

2011 dodge avenger ran out of gas. Got approx1 gal. and tried to start. Cranked several times but car was slightly on an incline so called for AAA. He came with a couple more gals.but now nothing happens. No crank or click from solenoid. Battery is only6 months old. AutoZone best.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to reset the computer. I have both positive and negative terminal disconnected at the battery. How long does it take for the computer to reset.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here
The best way to reset the computer is to remove both battery cables and touch them together, once you have done to reinstall them and if that is the problem , the computer is reset. If you are still having a problem after doing this, post back and we can work from there .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron I touched both cables together but my presets on the radio are still intact. Also I still have no crank at all. Lights come on including the dash and I can hear the fuel pump but that's it..
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to do some testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, what should I test?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The first thing you need to do is to scan the computer system and see if there are any fault codes setting, there should be if there is a no crank problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm gonna need a code reader for that right? Will autozone rent me one?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Yes you will and yes its very likely auto zone will loan you one. I would also consider taking you battery with you and have them test it to be sure its fully charged even though its only 6 months old just to be sure its not just the battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm on it. I'll get back to u. Thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Sure thing , I'm here when your ready.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.10 volts isn't enough to do the job, is it.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The starter should crank with 12.10 volts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, ok. For now I'm gonna go get the reader since the battery is in such a great location.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Okay let do that and see if we can get a fault code reading
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Ron, NO CODES FOUND.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately it may take a while for any to set since the battery has be disconnected . Was the car cranking okay before you ran out of gas? If you have a spare key have you tried using it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lately, I would say for the last month or so, when u turn the key, u have to hold it on start for a couple of seconds. It didn't used to be like that. In fact I thought I had a dead battery twice and borrowed jumper cables cuz I was fooled. However it did crank at least a half dozen times after we put the gas in. We were on a slight hill so we needed to get more and after we did, nothing. AAA sent a second guy to also try to jump start it with a portable booster but nothing. They looked at the fuses and relays under the hood and didn't see anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My thinking rite now is that I must have fried the starter or solenoid.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
One way to test this would be to have a helper hold the key in the crank position and at the starter see take your volt meter and or 12 volt test light and see if you have power on the yellow/gray crank wire as well as the red battery wire, if that checks okay then you are right.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And no I don't have a spare key. Couldn't get the dealer to cough one up. To prevent getting locked out I had a key made for the doors . I know that one cranks the engine but won't let it keep running and so I tried it just to see but still dead.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would that mean starter or solenoid or both.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Okay then let check the signal at the starter on both wires with the key in the crank position. If you had to do excessive cranking when it ran out of gas , it is possible you smoked the starter. The test would tell. There are only two post on the starter, both need power to crank the engine.