moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp
13195827

Ram 1500 4.&: I have a 02 Dodge 1500 4.7 with an intermittent

Customer Question

I have a 02 Dodge 1500 4.7 with an intermittent oil pressure problem. --I bought the truck used 3 years ago with 105K miles. Oil on the dipstick was clean (assumed it to be conventional Mineral oil) and they said they had just changed it. I ran that oil for a few thousand miles then change to 5-20 Mobil 1 . No Truck ran and still runs and starts great. One hot Texas day, at Idle in traffic the oil pressure switch went to zero. I shifted to neural and gained a few RPM then the pressure was OK. I did this several times. I got back home and changed the oil and then changed the oil pressure sensor. The problem happened again. I went 10W30 Synthetic but it recently happened again at 1500 RPM. Today I dropped the pan, but no apparent restriction in the oil pickup tube Truck now has about 120K miles.
Thanks
Michael G.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JA
I have seen this a few times and the real problem was with the instrument cluster and not a engine problem. I would first hook up a manual gauge to see is this is really losing oil pressure. Never seen anything that would cause this type of concern if the pickup screen is clean.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. What is involved in fixing the instrument cluster?
Expert:  moparfl replied 1 year ago.
All you can do is replace it. You can order it through your dealer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you prefer to use conventional oil or synthetic in this truck with this mileage?
Expert:  moparfl replied 1 year ago.
I use synthetic in everything I own and have for years.