Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Ram 1500: my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 truck has been having some

Customer Question

Hi my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 truck has been having some issues as of late. The check engine light came on and when I plug in my obd it gives me 3 codes. P0300 Random Misfire detected, P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected, and P1757 governor pressure is above 3 PSI when 0 PSI is requested. I did just replace all the spark plugs and the wires and the distributor cap and rotor. So it's weird that it still says cylinder 1 is misfiring. Anyways, it is having a lot of problems shifting gears. What should I do to fix it?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!!
My name is ***** ***** I'm a 16 yr Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep dealership technician that will be helping you today. ***NOTE*** This is not a FREE site, the deposit you placed will not credit me unless you rate me positive, and feel free to reply to me as many times as needed even after the rating.
Being you have a P0301 and it's still active after replacing the plugs I would do a quick compression check to ensure the base engine is fine. If the compression is 150+ then I would swap injectors and see if the misfire moves. Also I will add that these older models are bad about the metal fuel rail rusting and clogging the injectors so personally I would pull the fuel rail and clean it and the injectors.. That should take care of the misfire, or at least get you on the right path to fixing it..
The transmission issue is likely a bad governor pressure solenoid and transducer.. Have you ever replaced them in the valvebody? How does the fluid look?
Brad
Brad