Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge: I'm trying to trbl shoot an ignition (or I should say

Customer Question

I'm trying to trbl shoot an ignition (or I should say "no ignition") problem. The starter solenoid seems to be "clicking" and the starter relay seems to be operating but not turnover. Battery is definitely good. I've completed the relay test (described in the Q&A to the left) as well as the relay circuit test. I was all good until #5. I have an auto transm and am not getting continuity to gnd at the cavity for relay terminal 85. Not sure whether this is a starter problem or an electronics issue associated w/either the ignition switch or PCM/Park Neutral switch.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! Tell me this: If you turn on the ignition and then jump the starter relay cavity # ***** to # ***** will the engine start and run?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No...same starter solenoid "clicking" sound as when relay is in its installed position but no crank.

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Then this is a starter that has failed Pat. If you are sure that the battery is fully charged, and all connections are clean and tight, then replace the starter. The contacts in the starter solenoid have failed.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** seen info that suggests the contacts are relatively easy to replace but can only find them at Amazon, eBay, etc (online). Any suggestions on where to find them locally (namebrand auto parts store)? Best I can tell most auto parts retailers sell new and remanufactured starters but not the replacements contacts. Big price difference!

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome Pat. To be honest with you you can remove the starter and simply replace it with a remanufactured one. That is the easiest way, but more $$$. OR if you have decent mechanical skills, you can remove the starter and disassemble it then take some emory cloth or sand paper and clean up the contacts. The problem with doing that is the contacts may fail again withgin a year or so. If you can wait, then get them on line, and replace them. OR just replace the entire starter.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome Pat!!
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hey Pat, when you get a minute would you please kindly rate my service today? I will really appreciate it. If you need further assistance after you rate, I will continue to help you. Thank you in advance!
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pat, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!
Thank you!
Chris