Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Dodge Charger R/T: 2006 Dodge Charger RT Automanual with Cold

Customer Question

2006 Dodge Charger RT Automanual with Cold Air Intake and Custom Exhaust. Engine will die when slowing down or idling. Very random. Doesn't show up on diagnostics. Battery cables are good. Just changed battery and alternator. So I was either thinking it's air or ECU related. It starts right back up. Show oil light sometimes when it happens. Other than that no one could find a problem. It just... dies.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried cleaning out the IAC valve (idle air control)
Which engine size?
The IAC valve is by far the most common thing that causes the engine to stall out. By simply removing it and cleaning out the hole it goes into of all carbon along with cleaning the valve plunger from all carbon. You can buy a can of throttle body cleaner for this, and while you are at it clean the throttle body port inside real good and 99% of the time it takes care of this idle issue. Below is a link that has pictures and directions, disregard it's a van because it has the same engine as your car. Follow what he did and i'm very sure it will make a huge improvement. If you have any questions about it just let me know.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114679
Larry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if that doesn't work then what else could it be?
Idle problems are always vacuum related. Thats what the IAC does. It is supposed to close all the way at idle and if its not closing completly it creates a vacuum leak inside the throttle body.
If by chance it doesnt correct it, then you can take that can of cleaner and with the engine at idle, lightly spray some around all the vacuum lines, and where the throttle body gaskets are and along the intake manifold gaskets. If while spraying an area the RPM goes up, that area is leaking. We do a LOT of these IAC valve cleanings and find them to most likely be the culprit.
Best wishes my friend!
I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.
You can still ask questions even after you do the required rating and there is no further charge!
Your question does not close after you rate.
Thank you.
Larry
Did you have any further questions?