Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE
78075103

Durango: I have a 2006 Dodge Durango SLT and after driving

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Dodge Durango SLT and after driving for an hour or so the engine light will come on and the vehicle will quit. After sitting for a minute two it will restart and I will continue to drive it. On a two hour drive it may do this two or three times. After sitting for a day or two the engine light will go off and vehicle will operate ok for a while. Both times this has happened I was pulling my boat. Can you diagnose this ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thanks for using Just Answer.
Given your description of the stall happening under load while pulling a boat, and having to wait a minute or two until you can restart the engine, I think and have experience with these Durangos with one of two things.
1. The fuel pump is overheating and seizes for a moment until it cools, which doesn't allow fuel flow causing the engine to stall, especially when the vehicle is under load. This will be the most likely culprit and will require replacing the fuel pump with a Dodge OEM fuel pump.
2. The on of switching of the ECM over the years just causes problems such as stalling. The ECM can be the problem but it is far more likely that the fuel pump may just be getting weak.
This sounds like a very intermitent problem and if there are no codes from a check engine light being present, it will be very hard to diagnose.
The thing to do now would be to perform a fuel pressure check right when the Durango dies. If no fuel pressure or low fuel pressure is present then we know the fuel pump is the problem.
In my honest opinion it more than likely will be the fuel pump and the symptoms will more than likely get more frequent as time goes by.
I hope this helps! Please let me know the outcome...