Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Durango: A fan just behind the mask of my 2009 Durango won't

Customer Question

A fan just behind the mask of my 2009 Durango won't shut down after the engine is off.
I have tried removing or switching all the fan relays in the engine compartment but the fun wont shut down.
What else can I try?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

Ok, I need the engine size in order to pull the schematics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 2009 Durango Limited 5.7 Hemi
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Im not sure why the previous expert opted out but I will take it over.Try unplugging the fan module and see if it turns off. I am attaching a diagram showing the location. Let me know what happens. Also when we are done please be sure to rate the correct expert so I get credit for my work.
Sorry. The location didnt attach. Here it is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
I took the mask off and disconnected every connector that was visible. The only one that shuts the fan down is the one that goes directly to it and seems to be the power source, so I think it is just kind of obvious but I dont think the problem is solved because once connected again, the fan starts operating.
Do you have a multimeter? If so check the voltage on the dark green/dark blue and the dark blue/dark green wires and let me know what you get.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get 14.35 , slightly less than the battery which is reading 14.45
On both?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe I am not following correctly:
I disconnected what appears to be the power cord for the front fan and that shutted it off. This connector has a red/orange and a green/black cables, the last one appears to be ground so the reading is zero, the other one reads 14.35
Behind the mask there is a 3 wire connector but disconnecting it does not shut off the fan. The cables from left to right are purple/black , green/black and black/green. With the ignition off (just like in the first case) the readings in all of them are zero.
There is a third connector (yellow) attached to the rear of one of the front face pillars but disconnecting it doesn't shut off the fan either.
There is no other connector at sight or hand's reach wihout having to remove bigger pieces like the radiator.
Is this a hybrid?
And could the wires possibly be green/blue, blue/green, black/green?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not a hybrid. The last two possibly, difficult to see the green in the first one. Could be black/blue though.
Im attaching a wiring diagram here. Look and see if you can find any of these wiring colors somewhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Wayne.
Following the fan power cord From the front, I found what looks like a relay hanging out behind the left front light. It has 4 cables (one of them yellow).
I disconnected this relay and put it back in and the problem was gone.
Now I know a way to resolve this problem partially although I would like to understand whats the name of this relay to buy a new one to replace it.
Thanks!!!
That would be your radiator fan resistor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much Wayne for your help and patience.

Best regards,

Cris

No problem. Let me know if you need anything further and if not please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. Thanks.