-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

RAM 1500 4wd, 6 cyl: I have a 2014 4wd ram 1500, 6 cyl. It

Customer Question

I have a 2014 4wd ram 1500, 6 cyl. It has a tow capacity of 7,000 lbs. it over heated towing my boat which with trailer is less than 4,000. It was hot outside and I was going up an long incline. Still, I don't believe it should have over heated. Could it be a bad thermostat?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!!

My name is ***** ***** I'm a 16 yr Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep dealership technician that will be helping you today. NOTE: The deposit you placed will not credit me unless you rate me positive, and feel free to reply to me as many times as needed even after the rating.

It's most likely not a bad theromostat and it really did run hot.. Now how hot did it get and did you have overdrive turned off?

Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had it in th tow mode and had to turn it off to help it cool down. The needle went all the way into the red, and the alarm went off. I was going about 55, so pulled to the right slow lane and finished the climb at 40 mph. Once the needle hit the red, the fan came on. I would have thought the fan would have come on sooner.
I do need to add, that I had a Honda Ridgeline with a tow capacity if 5,000 lbs that made that same trip with the same boat with no problem. Certainly has left me very disappointed with my ram.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
It may be a good idea to trade it for a V8 engine if your going to be towing that boat uphill very much. The 6 cylinder sounds like it can't handle it... But it's not a bad thermostat as it sounds like it was just overworking the engine..
Brad