Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

DODGE 600 ES TURBO: I have a 1985 dodge 600 ES TURBO convertible.

Customer Question

I have a 1985 dodge 600 ES TURBO convertible. It has a 2.2 l engine with turbo.
Whats wrong:
While changing the alternator the + side of the coil got grounded by a socket that fell down by it and grounded it. After testing and having no spark.
There was 0 volts to + side of coil.
After trouble shooting with help of HAYNES repair manual we changed the SCC (Spark Control Computer)
Now when we turn the key on there is voltage (12V) to the + side of coil for about 5 sec. or less. when we try to start the engine the + side of the coil gets voltage vary sparodically. The engine will fire but not run.
I have 30 years experience as an electro-mechanical maintenance tech repairing computer controlled manufacturing machines. I have flow diagrams and schematics for those machines.
But I am totally lost here.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site. Well my friend, I gotta tell you that you have picked one of the funkiest engine control systems to tangle with. Having said that, the ignition switch feeds that circuit (Dk Blue wire) thorugh fuses 13 and 14 in the underdash fuse box. I'm thinking the terminals in the box that hold the fuses might have gotten a little too hot and now the connection is spotty. So, why don't we start there and get that possibility out of the way before we proceed?