Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

1998 Dodge Ram 3500 with the 24 v cummins low voltage even

Customer Question

1998 Dodge Ram 3500 with the 24 v cummins low voltage even with new altonater on it
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Inspect the battery cables and alternator power feed cable for any corrosion or damage to the cables themselves as well as for being tight at their connections.If a fault is found with the cables being loose or corroded then will need cleaned and re tightened but if a fault is found with a cable being damaged the affected cable will need replaced to correct this fault.
If these are or were all checked and already found o.k. let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cables tight and altonater is hot
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Check the cables to see if any of the positive are shorted to a ground point or any of the ground cables are shorted to positive.This sounds like a short and the cables being shorted or even high resistance in a cable will cause this here.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cleaned all cables checked battery's with load test they are ok started back up and started to yank the wires going from the motor back to the fuse box and the wires started arcing around the top of the shock tower where the wires were bare
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you have located the fault,The bare wires need repaired to correct this here.If there is anything else I can help with here let me know and feel free to rate my help if you like.
Thanks Pete