bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

Dodge Durango: left key in accessory position and battery died

Customer Question

left key in accessory position and battery died of course, now we have lights on dash. Traction light, airbag, abs, and security red dot. Runs and drives ok, thinking a sensor is bad/needs unplugged but not sure.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
hi i'm bill
welcome to just answer
please remember I am NOT there in front of you! my answers are based on your information
you will need to have the codes read BUT it is very possible the dead battery set low voltage codes and they simply need to be erased WITH a dealer level scan tool (not necessarily a dealers scan tool but a shop with one that has the same abilities)
the newer cars (starting around 2004) with far more sophisticated computers will set a fault code for low voltage if the battery goes dead. and simply disconnecting the battery WILL NOT erase all of them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will low voltage "trip" stay indefinitely or would it time out with driving? Just curious, because this car doesn't get driven much. This happened a few months ago and don't know if we've driven/cycled ignition enough for a "driving cycle" to clear codes, if it would even clear codes. Either way will get to a scan tool when I can and report back results. Father in law worked for city garage and we've used it many times but he retired. Maybe his buddies can loan it to us. Will respond back in time and leave window open. Thank you.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
no these types of codes do not clear on their own they must be cleared with a scan tool this is by design and by federal law on some of the computers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok then that would explain a lot. Thx Bill, will get back to you in few days. Thanks again.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
ok