Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Ram 1500: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. Trans temp light comes on and

Customer Question

2004 Dodge Ram 1500. Trans temp light comes on and the shifting starts acting funny. Stop, turn key off, restart, light goes out and transmission works fine? Thanks.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
What engine is in your Ram 1500?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.7 hemi
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
I'm researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in? Thanks.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delayed response... Lost your question, Good thing you posted a reply....
There is one more thing that I need to know, Has it been scanned for codes yet?
If not, The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can have these Codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.
I suspect a problem with the transmission temperature sensor causing these issues but would need codes as retrieved from the TCM to know for sure.... Please post any codes here and we can continue from there....
PS -- Sorry for the delayed response...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a scanner, but it does not indicate there is a warning code (no codes found) when the trans temp warning light is on. Thanks.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Is your scanner a "generic obdII" scanner/code reader or is it a high end scanner such as Snap on Solis or equivalent?
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is an Auto Zone type code reader.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Your code reader may not be able to retreive Transmission codes if it is just a Generic OBDII code reader. Generic code readers are only to retreive emissions related engine codes..
At this time,I HIGHLY recommend to have it scanned somewhere that has access to a scanner that can retrieve transmission codes... If you can post any codes here, I will have a better idea as to what is wrong...
Without codes to go from,I would assume that the Transmission Temperature sensor is bad. On yours the temp sensor should be part of the Solenoid Pack.
Let me know if you can retreive codes and we can go from there...
______________________________________
If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer!
Thank you!
Robert