jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

Dodge Van: I just bought A 1983 Dodge van. The mechanic

Customer Question

Hi I just bought A 1983 Dodge van. The mechanic told me I had to get A new alternator so the car can drive with out any problems. I went and bought a brand new alternator. we put it in the van, and the mechanic said the van still had problums. I gues when the car started the battery died more and more. Can you please tell me what I should do....???
Category: Dodge
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, what size motor is in this ?
I need to know for the right wiring diagram .
And please give me about 10-15 minutes to study it .
What was the van charging at ?
how old is the battery and did the mechanic do a load test on the battery or if he charged it at a trickle charge(2 amp charging rate)
charging at a trickle rate allows the battery to charge better and stronger .
is the dash gauge for the charging showing good charge ?
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
what model is this van ? please
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
I looked at the wiring diagram
At the alternator-
the black wire should show constant- hot (battery voltage)
the dark blue or red wire should show -with the key in the run or start position -hot
the dark green or light green will show voltage with the van running and this wire goes to the voltage regulator ,so at the voltage regulator it should show -HOT-with the van running .
The voltage regulator should have a good ground at its casing -that is the voltage regulator will or should show ground on its case ...jazzmaster ..
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
if I helped you please rate with a positive smiley face ,if I didnt please let me know why and what was wrong with the vehicle ..thank you
Please don't rate bad if the issue wasn't what I helped you with or you need further help ..