Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

Ram1500: Where is the starter relay located

Customer Question

Where is the starter relay located
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.
Goood afternoon, my name is Ed. Welcome to JustAnswer!.
There is no physical starter relay on your 2006 Ram 1500, unfortunately. The underhood fuse and relay panel (called TIPM for Totally Integrated Power Module) electronically sends power to the starter relay when it's been given the OK-to-start message in collaboration with other modules in the truck. TIPM is located near the battery.
While I've replaced one TIPM (total) for loss of start output, if your problem is that you suddenly can't crank the engine, chances are actually better that your Wireless Control Module (WCM) is locked up. WCM reads the RFID chip in your grey-colored or multi-function ignition key, then shoots a message to the PCM (engine controller) who then gives the TIPM the final approval for engine start.
WCMs have a history of electronic lockup in this model year and can usually be recovered by interrupting power to the WCM for about two minutes. You have a choice of:
1) Disconnecting the battery and touching the terminal ends together or
2) Pulling the IOD fuse from the TIPM.
The IOD fuse (stands for ignition off draw) is located in a clear or black-colored fuse holder in the TIPM main body. You won't see a fuse... rather, it's a "winged" plastic holder with a hinged center that invites you to lift the two tabs to disconnect power from the circuit (fuse is inside).
Give either one of these power-down suggestions a try and let me know if you have any problems. I'm making a lot of assumptions and may be completely wrong, so fill me in on the details if we need to continue.
Good luck!
Ed