Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Dodge 3500: I have an 06 dodge 1 ton diesel Ive only owned

Customer Question

I have an 06 dodge 1 ton diesel Ive only owned it about 3 months. when I bought it II noticed it would run out of fuel on 1/8 tank and I run out a few times. but it always run great but now I was puling a trailer on a long trip and it lost its pep it still started just fine and ideled but on those long hills I would drop down around 10 mph my check engine come on and this is the codes p201,202,203,204,205,206 and po148 this truck has also started smoking a little and seems to be using lots more fuel.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
How many miles are on the truck? When this happened, did you notice the engine running real rough also?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the truck has 226k miles and I noticed a real small rough idle back a couple weeks ago. also I use this truck for hotshot and I am driving it 1500 miles a week after it first started doing this then it cleared up on its own and check engine light went off but then come back on again after around 300 miles or so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello where did you go??
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, stepped away from the computer for a bit....
all the codes lead to faulty injectors. The P0201 through P0206 are all injector circuit codes. This can be caused by faulty injectors, wiring or possibly the ECM. The P0148 code is basically the "Catch All" code that is telling you that fuel pressure is not in line with requested fuel pressure from the ECM.
With 226k miles on the clock, chances are high that you need to replace all 6 injectors. These will basically cause all symtoms that you are describing... To be sure you would need to run some fuel flow testing procedures. If you want to do this yourself and can obtain the necessary tools, I'll be glad to post some procedures for you....
let me know and we can go from there...
Thank you,
Robert
______________________________________
Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.
Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...
Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for good answers is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just seems odd that all the injectors would go bad at the same time, could it not be the lift pump??and it does run out of fuel between an 1/8 and 1'/4 according to the fuel gauge.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Yes, lift pump is a possibility. Although that would not be the reason it runs out at 1/8 tank. The Level unit is probably faulty and that may be the reason it appears to run out at 1/8. Of course the level unit comes as part of the lift pump so I would probably purchase that either way since the fuel gauge is off...With that many miles, even though you replace the Lift Pump, I still suspect a problem with at least one or more of the injectors. Another thing that you can check is the connector tubes.. These route the fuel from the fuel lines that are external, to the injectors which are internally mounted in the cylinder head. Because if this, it would be a good idea to check the torque of all 6 injector connector tubes before going any further...Connector Tube Nuts -- <a href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60214565/5_9_Connector_TubeNuts.jpg" target="_blank">Click Here</a> If the connector tube nuts check out fine and the lift pump didn't help, you will need to run the flow testing procedures. you will need the following tools to do the flow testing. These can be purchased from your local Snap-On Dealer...Miller Tools --- <a href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60214565/Miller_Diesel_Flow_Tools.jpg" target="_blank">Click Here</a> Keep me posted... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok what do I do to find out?? I can borrow a fuel pressure guage from autozone so please direct me on what to do next.... and it is using way more fuel now.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
You won't be needing a fuel pressure gauge, you will be doing "Volume" testing as opposed to pressure testing....
You will need some gallon containers and a graduated cylinder of at least a quart or two to accurately measure the volume...
I'm posting a ZIP file that contains the necessary information for performing the flow testing procedures. Make sure you purchase the Miller Tools that I posted above as you will need these for accurate test results....
Diesel Fuel Flow Testing Procedures --- Click Here to Download
Download the zip file to your computer then extract the files and save them to your computer....
Let me know if you get stuck during the procedure, I'll be glad to help...
Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!
Robert
______________________________________
Please remember, this is a PAY Site...The Deposit you have posted with JustAnswer DOES NOT credit me until you leave a "POSITIVE" rating... Please Remember, my answer is based on the information you posted here, so feel free to add any additional information you feel may be helpful...When I have answered your question to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate my service to complete the transaction...Bonuses are ALWAYS Appreciated!... Need more help? Just ask... you can follow up on this question even after you leave a Rating! If you are not satisfied with my answer, let me know by clicking the "Reply to Expert" Button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks Robert it will be tomorrow before I can go any further with it cause its coming a really bad storm here I'll get back to you tomorrow ok...
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good..
Remember, you can rate now if you like. Either way this question WILL remain open for you as long as necessary. I will reply to any follow up questions you may have...
Thanks is advance for a "Positive Rating" it will be Greatly Appreciated...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert I just went out and was checking the nuts you mentioned they were ok. then I decided to check the fuel filter again when my problem 1st staarted I changed the fuel filter anyway when I took the top off the canister there wasnt any fuel in it and looks like there hasnt been any fuel in it but is that possible that it could run without fuel in the fuel filter canister or maybe I didnt have it screwd tight enough.....
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
If the fuel filter housing is empty thjen I suspect a failed lift pump or plugged pickup screen in the tank.
Yes, it is possible for it to run with a bad fuel lift pump. The Injection pump will sometimes create enough vacuum to draw it's own fuel. Unfortunately, this can cause overheating of the Injection pump causing it to fail...
At this time, I would recommend to check the lift pump power and ground, if ok check for operation. If it doesn't work, start by replacing the lift pump....
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I leave the cannister and filter off and crank it and see if any fuel is going in at all or will that hurt it.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Sure, you can turn on the key to the run position then "Bump" the starter for less than one second with the ignition switch. This usually makes the lift pump run for 25 seconds. Try this and see if you get fuel flow to the fuel filter housing....
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
robert where do I check for ground and power supply for lift pump is this on the tank??
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Correct, the best place to check for power and ground for the fuel lift pump is right at the tank... You will need to disconnect the fuel pump connector at the tank to check for power and ground... You may need to drop the tank, raise the bed or possibly you can reach up under the wheel well area and reach the fuel pump connector without dropping the tank. This depends on the vehicle, some have enough room there and some dont.... Remember, you will ONLY have power for up to 3 seconds when first turning on the key. If you bump the starter, power at the lift pump connector should last for 25 seconds, also there should be constant power there while cranking.... on the ground side, use the ohm meter to check resistance of the ground wire to an actual ground such as directly on the frame... Close to Zero resistance is a good reading.
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert I feel like an idiot I just discovered that my truck has an after market airdog fuel system it has 2 filters underneith by the tank when I took them off one had real dirty nasty looking fuel in it. so I have ordered 2 new filters for the airdog they will be here in the morning and then see what happens from there.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
I hate it when that happens...
Hopefully the airdog pump is still good...
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert