Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Dodge ram 1500 5.9l: My 96 5.9l v8 has crank but no start.

Customer Question

My 96 5.9l v8 has crank but no start. We have changed just about every part associated with the fuel electric system. Still nothing g
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern. What all has been replaced?Has it been scanned for codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The crankshaft sensor, ignition switch, ignition, fuel pump, fuel pump fuse and relay, asd relay, distributer cap and rot, ignition coil.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Has it been scanned for codes yet? If not, that will be my first recommendation. AutoZone has a free tool loan program if you don't have access to a scanner or code reader....
If you can post any codes retrieved here, I will know what the next step should be....
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not giving any codes
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked fuel pressure while cranking? Even though you have already replaced the fuel pump, we need to make sure it's working properly... This will be my first recommendation, Obtain a fuel pressure tester gauge and run a fuel pressure test and post back the results..
If you need help running the test, let me know....
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no power to the electrical for the fuel pump.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Ok we need to make sure you tested for power properly as there will not be power there with just the key on.....
You MUST run the test while cranking the engine for accurate results. You can also check for the initial "Prime" power feed on initial key turn on. This will only last for up to 3 seconds so it is best to have a helper for this part of the test...
Let me know if you are able to get power there by running the test as advised above...
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We got power to the fuel pump but putting a wire from the battery to the relay
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Ok that checks the wiring but not the control of the circuit. Can you get power at the fuel pump with the fuel pump relay installed and cranking the engine? Will it turn on for 2 to 3 seconds when you initially turn on the key?
Did you try starting it when you bypassed the relay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By putting sorry
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
That one flew over my head....
Can you get power at the fuel pump with the fuel pump relay installed and cranking the engine? Will it turn on for 2 to 3 seconds when you initially turn on the key?
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again no. When we turn the key it don't kick on. When we jump the relay it turns on
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Ok when jumping the relay, exactly how are you jumping it? Are you using a jumper and jumping across terminals 30 and 87? Is the relay still in place when yo jump it?
Since I'm not there to see you do the procedure, I need you to explain exactly how you "jumped the relay".
Lastly, when you did jump the relay were you able to try and start it? Or is the tank removed??
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure how more blankly to explain this. When you turn the key to start the engine it cranks but no start. The fuel pump does not kick on at all. We put a hot wire from the battery to the relay and it kicks on. We have done 30 to 87 as well both kick on the fuel pump
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Good, now run this test for me... Get your jumper wire and hook it up across terminals 30 and 87 to engage the fuel pump... While the fuel pump is running, try to start the vehicle and let me know if it starts....
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figured it out.