Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
12104952

Dodge: My daughter's 04 dodge neon (2.0 soc) died on her at

Customer Question

My daughter's 04 dodge neon (2.0 soc) died on her at a stop sign. I assumed it was electrical. But upon further inspection I found that the timing belt had broken. Hopefully it broke at idle and didn't bend any valves. What are the chances of the valves not being bent as I just found out this is an interference motor?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Just because this is an interference engine doesn't mean 100% chance of valve damage.
Mind you, the odds are pretty high that there is some damage but I have seen ones that did not do any valve damage. Honestly, you won't know until you at least pull the valve cover and see if there is an obvious slack in the rockers.
If there is obvious slack in the rockers, then that valve will be bent.
I hope that helps to answer your question, but if you need anything further please reply back to me. Thanks!