Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
12104952

Intrepid: I just swapped a 2.7 out of a 2004 intrepid in to

Customer Question

I just swapped a 2.7 out of a 2004 intrepid in to a 2000 intrepid now it will not run
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Are you still needing assistance with this question?
Do you have spark and fuel pressure?
Let me know.....thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not getting fire I did not change the tone ring the motor is out of a 04 the car is a 2000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can that be the problem?
Thanks for the reply.
Since you are mentioning the tone rings, I suspect you are aware of certain differences in these engines.
During the 2004 production run, Chrysler made a change to the type of engine computer used in these vehicles. With this change came a difference in the way the computer received signals from the cam and crank sensors.
The cam and crank sensors generate signals based on the slots cut into the tone rings and 2004 used different tone rings than those used in 2000.
When your 2000 computer starts getting cam/crank signas from 2004 tone rings it has no idea how to process these signals so naturally the engine won't start.
So, long story short, you have 2 choices. You can either change the tone rings or find a compatible engine for the 2000 model year.
I hope that helps to answer your question, but if you need anything further please reply back to me. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok after all I seen this makes the most sense the next question is it just the flywheel and tone ring that I need to change or do I need to change the one on the cam as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have access to the old motor so is my better option to try to buy it new or pull one from a junkyard?
Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately, you would need to do both so it is going to be labor intensive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are just all kinds of fun brother thanks for your help with this matter.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but hopefully I've got you going on the right track now!
Thanks.