Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Need to replace a bad computer on a Dodge Ram 1500, 4.7 liter

Customer Question

Need to replace a bad computer on a Dodge Ram 1500, 4.7 liter engine. Where can I find a reliable repair station with experience on this type or repair?
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, the reason it did not work is because you cannot install a used computer in your vehicle. The VIN number and mileage for your vehicle has to be programmed into the computer and once programmed cannot be overwritten, so the used computer already has a VIN and mileage in it from the vehicle it came with originally.
ONLY a remanufactured computer or new one can be installed and then programmed or programmed by the parts supplier before being shipped.
So, if you bought the used computer and hoping to find a shop to install and program it, you are unfortunately out of luck as it will NEVER work since it cannot be overwritten with your vehicle's VIN number and current mileage.
If the shop supplied the used computer, then this would indeed be due to the shop not understanding the computer in your vehicle and the limitations to installing another one.
Any independent certified shop can install a computer on your vehicle, as well as any chain shop such as Firestone, Goodyear, Midas, Meineke, or other such shop. But they CANNOT install a used one and make it work as it is not possible to.
It is actually a fairly simple and quick job and if you wanted order one that comes preprogrammed, you can install yourself. If you want to go with this option I can provide the directions with helpful diagrams
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks