Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

Dodge neon: While my transmission is in park i can push it

Customer Question

While my transmission is in park i can push it like its in netruel i have no gears just a clicking sound when i put in gear
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you have a loose or failed CV axle. They are held in by a snap ring that occasionally will fail and allow the axle to pop out of the transmission. So it could be as simple as replacing the snap ring or possibly one of the axles.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have check the driver side cv shaft and it appears to be in the transmission i jack it up and spin the wheel and it clicks i put preasure on the shaft towords the tranny and turned the wheel still clicks

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
If the clicking seems to be inside the transmission right near the axle shaft then you have likely damaged the side gear, unfortunately the transmission will need to come apart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can move the cv shaft up and down and how hard is it to tear down any down pics

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, it probably split the side gear, will not hold the axle in place any more. It is easy to tear a trans down, it is getting it back together again that can be hard, real hard. There is really no step by step literature because you have to be taught to do it properly. And if you have a pro do it they are not likely to want to just replace that gear for liability reasons. It might be best (cheapest) to get a used one and swap it in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does the hole tranny have to come apart i have done a 4l60e before

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Auto or manual trans?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Auto

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I just went back and realized you said Park. On the first page of this info http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/41TE.html you can see a cutaway of the trans. The gear that is likely broken is in the diff section which is to the left of and behind the torque converter. To get the diff out you pull the case halves apart. If you don't disturb any thrust washers you should be able to get the new gears into the diff and then reseal the case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are u talking about the back side of the tranny there like a pumpkin cover on the back of it

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Wait, if you have a trans that looks like this :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fo687f3epauas0/31th.JPG?dl=0
Then you can pull the cover that looks like a diff cover. My reference showed a 4 speed trans in that car, but if you have the three speed you can look at and access the diff gears from that cover plate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What if its a 4 speed car

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Then look at the cutaway I posted for you. You have to split the frt and rear case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the 3 speed one has the same cover as the pic

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Pull the cover and then you can see the spider and side gears. If the side gear is broken you can remove the spider shaft and gears. Then pull the axles and the side gears will come out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do u have a explodex veiw of it

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
My suspicion is that one of the number 8 gears is broken, that is what the axle splines into. https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cfpkb37tfj9yee/diff31th.JPG?dl=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

odropboxDo u have part numbers for these

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
For which parts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For the diff parts

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
No, because I'm not sure what you'll need. But the diagram I provided is from a MOPAR parts lookup so any parts dept. will be able to supply you with the proper parts once you know exactly what you need.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For the spider gears

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
I believe that should be a 05016315AB Gear set. But I am not a parts guy so please check your parts vendor to verify that number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tell me this why doea my dodge neon vibrate bad in gear and at idle

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
As soon as you rate me on this question I would be happy to start another repair question with you, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will after u answer lolcause im not paying another w8

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Well, you see I have not been paid since you just have the money on deposit. I am not asking you to pay any more but I have spent a considerable amount of time with your previous questions and would appreciate it if you would rate me as a sign of good faith. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will be more an glad to leave u a good ratiing

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a check engine light on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
If the engine isn't misfiring (no check engine light) then you may have a broken or collapsed engine mount. Try power braking the car in both forward and reverse and see how much the engine moves. If it is more than about an inch in any direction it may indicate a bad engine mount.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All new mounts no misfire no vac leak

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Are the RPMs steady and how high?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It drops low in gear and stay low in idle

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
If you turn on the AC will the idle go up a little?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No shakes worse

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like your idle air control has gone bad, will not let enough air in to keep the engine running smoothly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok i see the one i have has a paper felt gasket and my other throttle body it has rubber one that sit in side i need the rubber gasket one not the felt one

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, I would use whatever is on the car now, why do you have two throttle bodies?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have 2 neons

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Buy the one for the car you are trying to fix.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They dont have a part number for it and only felt gasket

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
It looks like the 2.4 has the rubber o-rings and the 2.0 has the flat gasket. It your engine the 2.4?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
No rating?