Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee that started making a noise

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee that started making a noise like road noise...starts at about 40 MPH and when you let off the gas the noise stops....get back on the gas the noise returns.....Jeep has one hundred thousand miles on it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Richard! I'm a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep tech with 23+ years experience & I'm going to try my best to help, so let's get started!
From the information you provided, it sounds like you have a pinion or side bearing going out in the rear differential or the gears are worn and your starting to get gear noise. Gear noise can also be caused by worn bearing because it changes the gear tooth contact pattern.
The first thing I would do is check your rear differential fluid level and condition of the fluid. If the fluid looks milky, you have water in the oil and likely have a ripped vent hose.
If the fluid level and condition is good, I would grab the pinion yoke to see if there is in and out movement of the pinion. If there is, you'll have to remove the driveshaft to see if the pinion nut is tight. If the nut is tight and you still have play, the differential will need to come apart to replace the bearings and possibly the gears.
This could also be caused by the front differential if your vehicle has a full time transfer case so you'll need to have someone listen to the noise to see if it's coming from the front or rear.
I hope this helps, let me know!
Thank you,
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm just checking in to see if my answer was helpful to you. If you have anymore questions feel free!
Thank you,