Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Durango: whining noise from the front dodge durango 2006 hemi

Customer Question

whining noise from the front dodge durango 2006 hemi engine
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! Does the noise change in pitch when the engine RPM changes?
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes the pitch go up when the rpm go up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
same if I am driving or idling
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Ok. This is going to be either a noisy power steering pump or a noisy alternator. I doubt it is a water pump because it would be a "growling" type noise and not a whining noise. When you turn the steering wheel back and forth, does the noise get louder?
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, only if i give more rpm the pitch go louder
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Ok, then I am thinking alternator. Do this: Remove the serpentine belt and start the engine, let it run for about 30 seconds and listen for the noise and then shut the engine off. If the noise is gone, then it is definitely a belt driven accessory like the alternator. This can also be confirmed by using a mechanics stethoscope placed carefully on the alternator while the engine is running. If the noise is still present with the belt removed, then something internal in the engine is causing the noise and further diagnosing will be required. But like I said, a whining noise is usually a power steering pump or alternator.
I hope this helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this.
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem?
Chris