sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Challenger: I have a 2012 challenger, when I Drive over any

Customer Question

I have a 2012 challenger, when I Drive over any size bump at slow speeds I hear a thumping sound from the rear passenger side. it sounds like it's in the trunk area as if something is loose and bouncing around. I have emptied everything out of the car trunk and ensured everything was secured tightly and can still hear the sound. I've seen some threads that might indicate something loose in the suspension. any ideas? Thank you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the noise happens over bumps then it's almost surely a suspension problem. It could be something such as loose or damaged exhaust but it's more likely to be suspension.
The first thing that shoudl be done is an inspection of all suspension components. You may have a loose bushings on any of the control arms or loose sway bar links or sway bar bushings, but if the noise seems to be coming from the trunk there is a good chance you have a shock issue. The shocks' upper mount is at the top of the wheel well basically on the top/side of the trunk. I've replaced shocks on these and have also seen loose upper shock mount nuts.