Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  MO Safety/Emissions Certified on all makes and models with a strong electronics background aiding in electrical troubleshooting.
66997337

Is a tecSelect T3600 oil filter chysler 300 05 model

Customer Question

Is a tecSelect T3600 oil filter for a chysler 300 05 model 3.5
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Its not technically the right one but it should work fine. It should be a 4612.. a 3600 will work in most applications that a 4612 will its just a different physical size.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say they filter is for a ford 3.0 liter
Its for quite a few different vehicles. What are you trying to figure out here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed someone oil in a 2005 chyrsler and they are sueing me for wrong filter the mechanic here say t3600 is for a ford 3.0 liter and that a st3600 will work but not the T3600
A 3600 is a 3600. Theres 572 vehicles that call for that filter. Yours is not one of them. Yours calls for a 4612. If damage was caused by the filter you dont have a leg to stand on. The 3600 usually is fine in place of the 4612 but with it being a different size it doesnt hold as much oil and could potentially cause issues. Why are they suing you? Specifically for using the 3600 or because they claim it caused damage to their vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes his engine started knocking when he left.
The filter wouldnt cause that... especially not right away. The liability is on him to prove the filter did the damage. It did not and no expert in the world would stand up in court and testify that it did. Has anyone checked the oil to make sure someone didnt forget to fill it? Either way this is a good lesson to always use the exact filter called for to avoid liability. You should be able to cover most vehicles stocking no more than 20 different filter numbers.As far as this particular one goes I wouldnt sweat it. Your shopkeepers insurance will handle the legal battle if it comes to that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was full of oil another mechanic is sayin the filter restricted the oil flow causing it to stave for oil so u think I should settle out of court or go threw with it.
I would fight it. Oil flows through every spin on filter just the same. The only difference is not as much oil is in the filter at the time.I personally have used 3600 in place of the 4612 many times in a pinch when stock gets low till it gets refilled and never have had a problem. I would confidently use a 3600 on this same vehicle in my own shop tomorrow without fear of it causing any issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks the odds are against me I guess because it wasn't the filter it cause for.
It definitely doesnt help matters. But it is common practice among shops to use a 3600 in place of a 4612 so that should help. If they are going to prove its your fault they need to first figure out what is wrong with the engine. Im betting whatever they find isnt going to be something that could be caused by the "wrong" filter being installed.If the customer is reasonable explain how common it is for stuff to break just after being worked on even if we are nowhere near what broke and explain that the filter is a suitable alternative to the filter it actually calls for and maybe offer free labor on an engine swap if they buy the parts or something. Easier to lose a days labor than to fight it and at the very least you will have a less ticked off customer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the help you was great I denied to purchase him a new engine so now he hired a attorney if they prove it was the wrong filter it might not go over well.
Whatever you do good luck and let me know if you have any follow up questions. Just reply to this same question for follow ups to avoid being charged again. It will stay open for follow ups as long as needed even after you rate my service.
They can prove that it wasnt the filter called for. They can NOT prove that it did the damage. As I said this is common practice. Im sure you could even find a parts cross reference sheet somewhere listing it as an alternate part number. That may be your best bet legally to try to track that down. Start with your parts suppliers and see if they can get something in writing showing it as an alternate part number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neither of the books we have show a cross reference for T3600
It may be tough to track down but I got to think there is something somewhere showing it as an alternate part number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cannot even find it under 4612 cross reference for Chyrsler
Its not a cross reference. It is its own part number. If youre going to find anything its going to be a company who only makes one or the other number and lists it in either application.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If u can think of any other way I can ️maybe find it please let me know autozone and O'reliy are saying ford 3.0 liter engines.
Im looking for something still on it. If I dont find anything tonight Ill see what I can dig up tomorrow. The 3600 has almost 600 applications.. many of them chrysler. Im not sure where these guys get their information but by their logic if one size filter only fits one vehicle they should have a 200,000 square ft oil filter section in their store.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks alot Wayne.
No problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Mourning Wayne any luck I have called Mighty this mourning and they seem to be against me saying that filter is to small for dat vehicle and it's not for it they are the ones who make TechSelect brand.
Im just getting on it. Been up at my kids school for a kindergarten graduation.
Here is a cross reference listing on a fram ph3600 (same as you used) It shows PH16 as a a cross reference which is what this vehicle calls for in a fram.
Or I guess the other way around is HERE. That is the cross reference on a PH16 which is what this car calls for and shows the 3600 as an alternative.
If you go to wixfilters.com and put in both of those part number you can print off a spec sheet showing they both have the exact same specs as far as flow rate, media type etc. That should help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's pulling up a Super Tech filter but the filter I installed is a tech select
Oil filters are similar to batterys. They have "series numbers" A 3600 is a 3600 regardless of the brand assuming that company uses standard numbering. A 16 is a 16 regardless of brand assuming they use standard numbering. Pull up a 16 and a 3600 of the same brand and compare their specs. The reason I suggest the WIX site is because they show all of the specs on their filters. If the company you used has specs get a copy of their specs on a 16 and 3600 and compare them. They should be the same as well. The only difference should be the amount of oil the filter holds therefore the car will take slightly less oil with the 3600 but the media type, relief pressure, flow rate, etc.. all of the important stuff should be the same.
The most important factor there is the flow rate.. if 10 gallons flow through that filter in a minute it doesnt matter how much is in the filter at a time.. what matters is the engine isnt starving for oil because it has 10 gallons per minute flowing through it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok if I had half of your knowledge I wouldn't be in this position that what the mechanic they using trying to say that it starved for oil.
Getting the specs on the flow rate of the t3600 and t16 from tecselect is going to be key to proving that your filter didnt starve it for oil. The filter is always full regardless of its physical size.. the only thing that would starve it for fuel is if you put a filter with a lower flow rate than the original.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm about to check back with Mighty
Alright. If you cant get anywhere with them let me know and I can try to find the specs on them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They keep telling me that particular brand filter has no cross reference its made for a Ford Taurus 3.0 liter and a PT. Cursier not a 300 they said the filter I need for the 300 is a T35 and the T3600 is a T28 for ford.
Youre asking the wrong question. Dont ask about application. Ask about technical specs. It doesnt sound like these guys know anything about oil filters. You may need to get in contact with purolator (who makes their filters) and see if they have a tech spec sheet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to chrysler and took that filter they saying it spec ain't da same as the filter it cause for I think I just screwed up this time
Chrysler doesnt know the specs on that filter any more than I do.
Chrysler will tell you a fram PH16 isnt the right filter too.
But if you want to give up without checking the facts I understand. Let me know if you need anything further and if not please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I just wanna do the right thing it was running good before I touched it and now my boss saying it's the wrong filter how do I rate your service.
Technically it is the wrong filter but that doesnt mean it is the cause.If you work for someone it isnt your problem. Its their insurance companys problem.There should be smiley faces below where you type to rate me Click a happy face.