Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

6 cyl 1500 Van: Engine shuts off while in drive......I can

Customer Question

Engine shuts off while in drive......I can quickly put in back into N and it will run fine....back into D.....half block runs fine.....starts to shut down again...back in N....runs fine....this is over and over again......runs super in park and N.????
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.
Can you check the fuel pressure, especially when it is acting up. That is easier said than done, but it will tell you for sure if fuel delivery, like if the filter is clogged up, limiting fuel flow the injectors is the problem. I would also check the onboard diagnostic system for trouble codes. The onboard diagnostic system many times will have information on what the problem is. This model had a problem sometimes of not illuminating the check engine light when yhere was a problem. Can you check the fuel pressure and check for trouble codes and get back with me.