Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Grand Caravan: need help on a 2008 Dodge grand Caravan.

Customer Question

Hi need help on a 2008 Dodge grand Caravan. Customer states when they are driving down the road: "that all of the lights come on and bells and buzzers, (like when you're cycling the ignition to the "on" position). Customer also states the same occurs "intermittently" with the engine actually turning off, and then would have to be restarted. Sounds to me like the ignition is turning off and on? Is there some kind of bulletin on this, and/or a recall? They told me it did it four times in an 8 mile stretch on its way to us (but obviously that was the first 8 miles) because as they got close to the shop it did not do it anymore. And of course with (us) test driving it we cannot get it to duplicate ourselves. Thank you in advance for any help, Richard.

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Looking through my info on this model here I do not see a recall or bulletin myself on this issue.This does sound like the electronic ignition switch itself is the cause and is a common component that will act up like this here and cause this fault.The only way to be sure of course is to have this switch tested when the vehicle is acting up to see if for sure it is the cause and if found to be the fault it will need replaced.
The only other thing I can think of that I have seen cause similar issues is a loose or corroded battery cable at the battery itself or where the cables lead to from the battery.I would check and make sure these are all o.k.
If found o.k. I am leaning towards a faulty ignition switch needing replaced.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is Richard, sorry so long getting back to you. We have had a lot of bad weather down here and had to put this on the back burner. I finally got it to act up for me yesterday so I could see what it was doing. And contacted our local Chrysler dealership, to question them about parts that may be in stock. For the ignition switch/system, instrument cluster assembly and problems they were having with any of the above…

He ran the Vin number on the vehicle and told me that there was a "factory recall for this problem".

Thanks for trying to help, sorry it didn't work out.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

That is great to hear it sounds like you have located the fault.If there is anything else I can help with here let me know as I strive to achieve an O.k. to excellent rating. Thanks Pete