Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

1500: I have a '06 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. Took my truck

Customer Question

I have a '06 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi.
Took my truck out this weekend and half way to my destination started experiencing shaking and lack of power. Check engine light came on and would flash then go solid and then flash again when started driving. I have very little power and a noticable shake in the engine. Got the codes read. Had a P1411 - Cylinder 6 Reactivation Control Performance. Tried changing out my plugs on cylynder 6. Now P1411 code is gone and I am getting P0306. The vibration is a little better but still lacking power. Not sure what to try next, was going to replace the coils next.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** is very common for the valve springs to break in these, have you checked the vacuum at idle to see if it is flucuating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ended up taking the vehicle to a Dodge mechanic that was recommended to me. They spent about 6 hours trying to diagnose the problem. They verified that the compression was good, fuel pressure, and injector operation, Coil and connecters were good. They found that engine was not getting trigger signal to Cylinder 6 coil. They recommended replacing the ECM (PCM). They quoted me 1300 to fix. I was unable to pay that so I took the vehicle home and ordered a refurb PCM online from Solopcms.com. Put the new computer in the truck today and am getting the same problem. P0306. I'm at a loss at this point. Truck has now been down almost a month. I just don't know what else to do at this point. Previous mechanic said that there was no physical problem with the engine.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
have you checked the signal from the computer on the #6 injector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I go about testing the signal to the injector? Would this involve hooking up a Noid light on the fuel injector plug?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Yes, a noid light would be the easiest,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I purchased a noid light to check the wiring from the computer to cylinder 6. It shows it is getting signal. Bought a spark plug tester as well and put it on each side of the coil and I can see spark. I was able to remove the fuel injector for cylinder 6. Hooked it up to positive voltage and could hear the clicking when ground connected. I tried cleaning with carb cleaner and put back in the truck. Still getting misfire. Wasn't able to verify spray through the injector though. I swapped fuel injector 6 with 2. Trouble code did not move with the swap so obviously not a problem with an injector.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked compression on that cylinder yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mechanic I took the vehicle to said compression was fine.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
do you physically fel the missfire when idling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there is a definite shaking and loss of power in the engine.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
If it has spark, compression, and the injector is good, then it almost has to be a broken valve spring, have you pulled the valve cover on that side and visually inspected the valve springs, it is a very common problem on these?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not, I was under the impression that a compression test would have verified that the valve spring were ok. But I've been given a lot of wrong information. I will pull the valve cover this weekend and look.
Could a malfunctioning MDS solenoid cause this problem?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
ino, it would effect 4 cylinders if it was bad, compression will not always show a bad valve spring, let me know what you find,Tim